Double Cherry














ALRIGHT ALREADY


Music has been important to me for as long as I can remember. It's just always played an integral role in my weird and wonderful journey. I listen to music throughout most of my day, and of course take it with me when I travel. I love to create my own music & I'm lucky enough to have friends that share this same passion. They constantly astound me with their beautiful, noisy self-expression.

The other day, I decided it was finally time to sort through the ever-growing pile of CDs I have been treasuring and collecting since my early teens. Flicking through some of these albums was nostalgic to say the least, and almost emotional. These albums were the soundtrack to my most difficult years, and ones I hope to cherish for ever, as trophies for overcoming this time. Hidden in these shiny discs are songs I've danced to, celebrated to, cried to, had sex to, loved to. 

Music culture is also something that has a huge impact on my design aesthetic, I feel. I grew up in the '90s, which was a decade that housed some of the most iconic and truly wonderful music developments of all time. CD shopping, band posters, pin badges, rock concerts + MTV: I feel lucky to have joined the world in 1996, the same year Don't Look Back In Anger was born; a song that means more to me today than it ever has, following the Manchester Arena bombing last year. The spirit of joyfulness and youthfulness will always present in my work.

So I thought I'd share just a small handful of my most treasured songs for you to enjoy.

1. Float On by Modest Mouse

I first discovered this song when I was fourteen, when I was watching The OC. Looking back, this series had a much bigger influence on my musical interests than I realised at the time. The OC introduced me to artists like Modest Mouse, Death Cab For Cutie and Rooney, and I am instantly transported back to my teenage years when I listen to any of them.

This song is one that has significant meaning to me. The lyrics "alright already, we'll all float on" are a mantra I like to remind myself of when I'm going through something tough. The world keeps turning, it'll be alright, we're all mortal, it's just life. I love these words so much I have them etched onto my left arm. 

Coincidentally, this song has also brought me great opportunity. Years ago, I posted a crappy cover of the song onto my YouTube account. Who would have known that Netflix would have reached out to me years later, asking to use the audio in an international hit series, Girlboss? My account blew up and I was reached out to by so many people who explained that when they were going through stuff, they turned to my cover. It's just totally mind-blowing to me and still is to this day.

2. Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead

This is one of those songs that I can use as therapy when I need to be sad. It's packed so full of emotion and I can find so much meaning in the lyrics whenever I'm feeling alienated or alone. The lyrics "she looks like the real thing, she tastes like the real thing, my fake plastic love" are enough to make me cry upon listening, due to the pure hopeless nature of the relationship Thom Yorke sings about. It's such a beautiful tune, with such clever and relatable lyrics. The song is iconic with good reason. The Bends is potentially my favourite album of all time, and is one I can listen to on a loop for hours on end.

3. Nightswimming by R.E.M.

R.E.M. are a band that I'm truly baffled aren't being praised as visionary and groundbreaking worldwide. They have produced some gorgeous, fascinating and quality music, which is mostly of a feel-good nature with plenty of metaphorical meaning to read into. This song, I feel, is a branch out from their usual upbeat sound, but still carries the same poetic form that underlays their usual work.

This song describes someone driving in the dark, remembering skinny dipping one night to describe a feeling that is too beautiful for others to recognise or even take notice of. It perfectly emulates the process of falling in love, where not even the "bright, tight forever drum" can live up to that one night.

4. The Less I Know The Better by Tame Impala

I just love this narrative and it is one I'm sure many of us can relate to, regarding paranoia over unrequited love and the harsh reality of a modern romance. "I was doing fine without you, 'til I saw your face, now I can't erase. Eating into all his bullshit, is this what you want? Is this who you are? I was doing fine without you, 'til I saw your eyes turn away from mine".